Moving from abroad

You are living abroad, want to move to Nijmegen and intend to stay longer than 4 months. Register in person within 5 days. Make an appointment by calling +31 24 329 90 00.

If you come to work in the Netherlands

Are you an expat? An additional service is available for you to register. You can schedule an appointment at the Lifeport Welcome Center (Geert Grooteplein Noord 9), along with your partner and children.

The Lifeport Welcome Center offers a special welcome programme with various information and lectures to help you settle easily in the Netherlands. At the same time, you can register with the municipality of Nijmegen. If you are from outside the EU, you can also directly register with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).

Please note: the welcome programme is not free of charge. See costs on the welcome programme page of the Lifeport Welcome Center. The programme incurs charges due to additional services such as lectures and tours. Registration with the IND and the municipality is free, but if you only want to avail yourself of these services, you cannot do so at the Lifeport Welcome Center. Instead, make an appointment directly with the municipality and, if necessary, with the IND.

What you need to know

  • If you intend to stay less than 4 months, you need to register as a non-resident
  • The municipality determines the identity of every person who applies for registration in the Netherlands. Therefore you need to visit us personally with your id
  • Minors (under the age of 16) also need to come to the appointment
  • When you are registered you receive a Citizen Service Number (Dutch abbreviation: BSN). You need this number when you interact with the Dutch government, educational institutions, healthcare and taxes. You'll receive your BSN immediately after your appointment. In some cases when your registration can't be completed during your appointment, you'll receive your BSN later through the mail
  • Will you stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 consecutive days? Then you’ll need a residence permit. Apply for this permit at the Immigration and Naturalisation Service

What you should bring with you

  • Valid id (passport/ identity  card/ residence permit) of yourself and of family members moving with you
  • A rental or purchase contract of the house you want to be registered in, or permission from the main inhabitant (signed with date + a signed copy of an identity card or passport)
  • In case you have them: other original legalised and translated documents about yourself or your children. Birth certificates, marriage or divorce certificates for example. You’ll find more information about legalisation of documents at
  • A proof of deregistration when unregistering from Curaçao, Sint-Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire, Sint-Eustatius or Saba


No costs.

Please note that the (optional) welcome programme for expats of the Lifeport Welcome Center comes with a cost. See the welcome programme page of the Lifeport Welcome Center.